Ethereum is an open source platform and mining network for various crypto currencies including the ether. This decentralized network is based on the blockchain concept. The mining network has been developed to prevent the use of ASICs because minen requires a lot of memory. This was done to prevent centralization of mining (so that someone cannot take over the mining network)
There is one blockchain in which both the transactions in the own crypto currency ether are recorded, as well as those of hundreds of other crypto currencies and tokens. This blockchain can also track the progress of other data and also contains smart contracts that make a transaction possible, confirm and make it irreversible. A majority of the initial coin offerings (ICOs) use the Ethereum blockchain.
Ethereum was co-developed and set up in 2013 by Vitalik Buterin. The ‘ether’ is the payment unit in the platform, similar to the bitcoin. ETH is the ticker symbol used for trading on exchanges.
Buy Ethereum (ETH) and free online wallet
Buying ETH is easy when you follow our step-by-step guide! For this example we used the very reliable Bitvavo exchange. They are the most transparent crypto broker we know and we use it for 90% of our trades. You can check everything on Coinmarketcap.
- Go to the Bitvavo exchange at this link
- Make a new account and verify (takes a few seconds for the first steps)
- Transfer euro in your account. Bitvavo does not charge transfer fees for Euro deposits! With some other exchanges you’ll pay a fee just for deposits.. stay away from these brokers.
- Press “Buy Ethereum” on the buy tab (general or exchange).
- Want to buy ETH, BTC or other crypto without limits? Verify your account as fast as possible. It’s fast and easy to do. Bitvavo works very fast with verifications!
Buy ETH fast, high limits
Ethereum (Ether, ETH) price charts and price history
Since May 2016, the price of the ether has risen from around 8 euros to 1000 euros. Together with the bitcoin and other virtual coins, the airwaves experienced a sharp fall in prices in November 2018 to just over 100 dollars (27/11/2018). In the end of 2019 the ETH price is above $150.